Venue

THE VENUE

Loch Earn Sailing Club hosts and organises The Brown Cup Scottish Schools Regatta Event. Visit the LESC website here www.lochearnsc.com

Location

Loch Earn is a freshwater loch located in the southern Highlands of Scotland within rural Perthshire.

As the crow flies, the loch is located 50 km from Edinburgh and Glasgow, 45 km from Perth, 151 km from Aberdeen, and 122 km from Inverness.  

Geology

The geology of the area surrounding Loch Earn Dalradian metamorphic rock in the form of mica slate. Loch Earn and the area was formed by glaciers carving the basin and steel sides of the loch. The loch is 10.24 km long and at it's widest point is 1.25 km. 

The Loch Earn 'Tide'

Loch Earn is a freshwater body of water with a 'tide'. The loch tide, is a seiche governed by the prevailing prevailing wind. The seiche is inconspicuous and is in effect a standing wave found that forms in enclosed or semi-enclosed bodies of water such as lakes, lochs, reservoirs, harbours and seas.

The Swiss hydrologist Francois-Alphonse Forel first made the observation of a seiche in Lake Geneva. Lake Geneva has a 73-minute cycle, Lake Wakatipu in New Zealand has a 27-minute cycle and the water height can vary by 20 cm. One of the larger seiches occurs on Lake Erie in North America where the water level can vary by 5 metres between ends of the Lake.

From observations on Loch Earn, we would estimate that the seiche can change the water level by 10 cm.  

Historic development

It possible that the first early settlers of Loch Earn made their home on the manmade island or possibly crannog located in shallow water to the south of St Fillans. Remnants of a 7th century Pictish fort survives on the crown of the craggy hill of Dundurn - known as Hill of St Fillans or Dunfillan to the south-west of St Fillans. 
St Fillans was named after the Saint who is believed to have lived here - either the 8th century Irish saint or the 6th century Celtic St Faolean the Leper.
Also between the St Fillans and Dundurn, are the ruins of St Fillans Chapel, which date from 1300 but there may have been an earlier building on the site from Pictish times. The churchyard is the ancestral burial ground for the Stewarts of Ardvorlich.

Medieval History

A castle was built on the island by the Clan MacNeish who occupied it from 1250 until mid 15thC.
The island became known as Neish Island. In 1612 the MacNabs attacked, killing the chief and most of the clan.

16th, 17th and 18th Century
Timothy Pont's late 16th-century map depicts settlements, plantations, a port, a mill and an island fortress (Loch Earn Castle) at the eastern end of Loch Earn and “Doundarn” south of the River Earn. John Adair‟s map of 1683 also shows a port on the north shore and the island fortress, and marks Dundurn fort and “St Phillins” Chapel south of the river. By the 18th century a small clachan
known as Port of Lochearn, Portmore or Meikleport consisting of a few thatched cottages and a distillery, had developed in the location of the current village. A bridge below Little Port is first shown on George Taylor and Andrew Skinner‟s road map and survey of 1776.

19th Century
The later development of the village was a result of its re-foundation by the Drummond Estate in the early 19th century. The name “St Fillans” was established for the village in 1817 by Lord Gwydyr, husband of the Drummond Estate heiress Clementina Drummond. It was derived from
the nearby chapel dedicated to St Fillan, The new village was described by the schoolmaster, John Brown: “It consists of a single row of houses or villas, in extent upwards of half a mile, and for the most part slated; of which several 
are two stories in height. But that which will forcibly arrest the stranger’s attention, and afford him the greatest pleasure, is the happy way in which the little plots in front of the house are laid out and cultivated.” The publication of Sir Walter Scott‟s poem, The Lady of the Lake, in 1810 began an influx of visitors to see the stream called Allt Ghoinean to the south of Dundurn fort, claimed to be the inspiration for Monan in the poem. A small inn was known to exist on the site of the Drummond Arms Hotel in 1817. In 1819 the St Fillans Highland Society was formed resulting in the construction of a hall which was later incorporated into the hotel. The hotel was extended in 1867 and extensively remodelled between
1870 and 1880 with a ballroom finally being added in the late 1890‟s. Queen Victoria and Prince Albert passed through the village on their tour of Scotland in 1842. As elsewhere on their route, tourists followed the royal precedent, seeking healthy rural retreats during the summer from the towns and cities. In 1856 the Free Church was built, Caledonian
Railway Company established coach tours from Crieff in 1872, further fuelling the demand for holiday houses in St Fillans. In that same year a compact well designed villa called Beaconsfield, later to be known as Wellandura, was built, occupying a prominent position in the village. An ambitious extension to the original feuing plan was drawn up by the Drummond Estate architect,
George T Ewing, but it was never implemented. However, his proposed church, now Dundurn Parish Church, was built to a modified design with a distinctive onion dome in 1878.

20th Century – present
The arrival of the railway in 1901 had a dramatic effect on the social and physical character of the village, bringing day-trippers and introducing the associated cuttings, embankments, bridges, tunnels, viaducts, signal box and station to the backdrop of the village. The railway continued to Lochearnhead in 1904 and Balquhidder c1905 but finally closed in 1951 leaving numerous railway buildings which are now incorporated into a caravan park. The Annals of St Fillans, written by Alexander Porteous in 1912, reported that of the old villas described by John Brown in the early 19th century, only two or three remained. The rest had “given way to more ornate and commodious residences”. The Free Church was sold to the Episcopal Church in 1936 and later converted to residential use in 2005.


The Hydro-electric Power Station, a major, but largely invisible, structure buried in the hillside at the western end of the village was built in 1957 and refurbished in 2002.
The local primary school closed in 2004 and has now been converted to residential use. A number of new private houses and holiday properties have been constructed during the late 20th and early 21st century within the existing built-up area. A new residential development of large luxury homes, known as Dundurn Walk, was completed in 2011. It occupies a site to the west of Station Road. The field to the north of Dundurn Walk has planning consent for further residential development and incorporates a large stone that traditionally houses the fairies that protect the village.

Source: Loch Lomond & The Trossachs National Park

Travelling by Plane

For rock star sailors, travel by seaplane is an option.

Neil's Seaplanes Limited is based at Lochearnhead and direct contact should be made through their website at Neil's Seaplanes.

Loch Lomond Seaplanes may also be able to assist and direct contact should be made through their website Loch Lomond Seaplanes

Loch Earn Sailing Club, Scotland

Travelling by Car

There are many variations of passages of Lorem Ipsum available, but the majority have suffered alteration in some form, by injected humour, or randomised words which don't look even slightly believable. If you are going to use a passage of Lorem Ipsum, you need to be sure there isn't anything embarrassing hidden in the middle of text.